Good Morning ladies and germs. Here are a few things that I have been interested in or studying more about since the last issue. Hope you find something useful. If anything, the recipe this week is Ridiculous!
Lifestyle Hacks and Improvements
Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are beneficial to the human body, in particular the digestive system, and a good chunk of them thrive naturally in your gut.
But wait Nick, I thought if I had bacteria and yeast in my body it was bad?
Well, not all of them are bad, but the problem with most people these days is that their guts are being populated by the crappy bacteria and yeasts that make us sick. This is due mainly in part to antibiotics being taken for every little sniffle and the Typical American Diet., which is loaded with sugars and processed foods. These foods in turn will not feed the good ones and help the crappy ones thrive. So, how might I improve my gut you might ask? Well taking a high quality probiotic is the first place to start. Also, here are 6 foods you can eat contain probotics that will help to improve not only the good bacteria but also will boost your mental health, decrease inflammation and help you lose weight.
1. Yogurt: The famous probiotic-filled food is yogurt — in particular, Greek yogurts or those that are live-cultured or handmade. Brands like Activia, Yo-plait Original, Stonyfield, Siggi’s, Fage, or Chobani all contain varying amounts of probiotics.
2. Sauerkraut: Who knew? It turns out that sauerkraut, or fermented cabbage, is a food highly dense in probiotics and a variety of other nutrients, like vitamin B, A, E, and C.
3. Miso Soup: Found in most traditional Japanese restaurants, is made from fermented rye, beans, rice, or barley.
4. Kombucha: or tea fermented with live bacteria and yeast, has been around for thousands of years. Although it may be more expensive than your regular cup o’ tea, it contains a lot of healthy gut microbes that can improve your digestive processes.
5. Pickles: Like the other fermented products on this list, fermented cucumbers have their own probiotic and digestive benefits. While most pickles will contain probiotics, certain pickles made with vinegar and a heat-process may lack them. Follow this recipe to ferment your own, probiotic-filled, tasty and tangy pickles.
6. Soft Cheese: Good news for cheese lovers: A handful of soft cheeses are filled with probiotics that are good for your tummy, particularly those that are made from raw, unpasteurized cow or goat’s milk. These include cheddar, feta, Gouda, provolone, Edam, Emmental, Gruyere, and caciocavallo. These soft cheeses, with their low acidity and large reserves of fat, keep the little microbes preserved in your digestive tract.
Recipe of the Week
Healthy Candy Bars
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
· 4 cups grated, dried unsweetened coconut
· ½ cup softened or melted coconut oil
· 10 drops of clear stevia liquid
· Slivered almonds (option)
1 ½ cup of dark chocolate pieces (unsweetened)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
In a food processor, put the filling ingredients and blend 1-2 minutes until smooth. Taste for sweetness and adjust stevia drops to your taste. It is necessary the coconut oil be soft or melted so the mixture blends.
Line an 8×8 or similar sized pan with wax paper or parchment. Pour the mixture in and spread around evenly. Spread almonds in coconut mixture. Press them in. Place pan in the fridge or freezer to speed the solidifying process.
Meanwhile, melt your chocolate with the coconut oil. Pour the chocolate on the top of the coconut and spread evenly. Then put the tray in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
Goings On Around The Office
Wanted to congratulate a few people on their success so far on their journey to transform their lives.
Joel: down 20 lbs after his first 30 days
Brad: down 21 lbs after 3 week
Mike: down 20 lbs and 15 inches after 30 days
Kim: down 13 lbs and 14 inches after 30 days
Keep up the good work guys. You will love the new you. Keep it going. This doesn’t even include any of the people who have seen their chronic knee pain, or High Blood pressure improve. The changes that are going on in the office is awesome and a joy for me to be a part of.